Sunday, May 24, 2015

hello dr. jody

First of all, I have to note that this is a very painful post for me.  I am supposed to be above all of this.  I am the one that tells other moms how to avoid this.  But, here I am, a flawed mother and hygienist.
Porter started to complain of mouth pain.  I admit, I initially wrote him off.  The truth is, with Porter it can be difficult to tell if he has just stubbed his toe or if the apocalypse is beginning.  When I finally decided it was legitimate, I called the office I sub in and made an appointment.  We had to wait three weeks to get it.  What did we find?  With the first bitewing ex rays he had ever had we were able to see that he had 8 cavities, one that would need a stainless steel crown.  For Porter, this meant he got to come back and get more prizes.  For me this was a blow to my personal pride as a mom, and a hygienist, and a blow to our pocket book.  We are locked in to our insurance for two years at a time.  I had hoped we could make it until renewal and save two years of dental coverage.  I should have known better.
(Porter all drugged up, and ready to get his teeth fixed.)
 
It was over a month before we could get him in (Dr. Jody is pretty popular).  A little bit of sleepy juice did the trick.  I am pretty thankful he had it because, while he doesn't remember, there were lots of tears shed.  They offered to do the rest another day.  Knowing that it would just be another episode, I helped hold him down to get the job done.  They usually have moms and dads sit in the waiting room because parents get upset seeing their kids struggle.  I just wanted to expedite the process.

Porter was back to normal in no time, and milking it for all it was worth.  I vowed to be better at practicing what I preach.  And the biggest blessing of all was that Dr. Jody gave me an employee discount, even though I only sub in her office 1-2 days a month.  It just made me even more grateful to have found such a wonderful office to go to when I do work.

No comments:

Post a Comment