Thursday, May 28, 2015

dad gets 30

Most years Chad finds out his birthday is coming up because I bring it up.  He isn't exactly known for being a big partier.  I didn't want that to stop Chad from enjoying his milestone birthday.  About two months in advance I enlisted Chad's co-worker, Roman, to help make sure that on his birthday I would be able to pin him down.  I had my plan all set.  Nothing to crazy so he wouldn't be annoyed, but enough to make certain it was a memorable day.
That morning as I was cutting up strawberries for Chad's traditional strawberry short cake, I got a phone call from a frantic friend needing someone to watch her little boy so she could go to work, until her husband got home from work.  It was only supposed to be for an hour or less.  I could do that.  Sadly, the hour got longer and longer.  Two and a half hours later I started calling around to get this little guy home.  His dad had come home from work earlier but decided he needed a nap first after a busy call night.  By the time I dropped him off, there was no time to surprise Chad with lunch or pick up balloons.  We had to settle for just surprising him with cake to share with everyone who happened to be around, and listen to our kids tell others not to drink coffee or that they were going to the wrong church.  For Chad that was plenty.  And for me, I was just happy to be celebrating 30 years of the greatest dad and husband in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment