Monday, May 10, 2010

mama cake

With boards creeping up, Chad has been a pretty busy boy. In fact, I have been really proud of how he has really buckled down and been such a studious studier. He has even sacrificed his beloved gardening time, and taken a fast from a few other time absorbing hobbies to maintain focus. It has made for long weeks at home however. I had secretly been really looking forward to Mother's Day just to have a day to relax and not be by myself. However, I had prepared myself for the possibility that Chad would forget all about it, and was just focused on hearts and brains and diseases. Saturday night when he came home from the library I was pleased to see that he had stopped at the store on his way.

Sunday morning I walked into the kitchen to find two daisy flower pots that will eventually be planted outside. He made me coffee cake, one of my favorite breakfasts, and a mexican dinner that he normally reserves once a year for my birthday. It was great. As a finishing touch he had a cake in the oven. I thought it was sort of odd, since cake is normally just for birthdays. He asked me how long it was supposed to bake. When I found out he had put an entire cake mix in a single 9" round pan I started to worry that I would spend today cleaning out the oven. Luckily I had stolen enough batter that it just barely stayed contained. Chad accidentally turned the oven off though, but with a little luck and patients somehow the cake worked.



Chad frosted the cake using a serving spatula. For some reason he was surprised that the cake was falling apart. Then he busted out a package of candles with holders, gave the candles to Aimee, and told her it was her job to decorate the cake. She thought is was awesome and so did I! I couldn't figure out why Chad and bought candle holders (we have never used them before) until he brought them to Aimee and told her to now put the flowers on the cake. He didn't know what they were until I told him. After it was all put together, Aimee helped me blow the candles out! Instead of cutting pieces of the cake we just started scooping in the spot where the cake had blown out. Aimee and Porter were covered in chocolate! It was so much fun, and the best Mother's Day gift Chad and the kiddos could have given me!

1 comment:

  1. aww that is great! I'm glad you got spoiled, you deserve it. Also, how awesome that Porter has been pooping in the toilet! Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete