Monday, May 10, 2010

fluke or fate?

The other night while we were enjoying our favorite family time (tubby time) I noticed Porter sitting at the front of the tub grunting. Wanting to avoid another night of cleaning poop out of the tub I went into action and quickly set him on Aimee's potty chair on the toilet. Having been interrupted from doing his business, he just looked at me. I started to grunt and do a little fake straining. Porter has some pretty good mimicking skills and followed suit. Just a few seconds later we heard a little plop, plop! Poop can be pretty exciting when it is in the right place. The next day just before I nap time I was taking Aimee to the potty. I decided that since we were already there we might as well give it a go. A little fake grunt and strain from mom again produced a little plop, plop! I was pretty excited at this point and did it again after nap time, and received the same result. Twice I tried on Sunday and I failed. I tried again this morning and again I failed. When nap time rolled around, and Aimee had been taken care of, I decided to give it one more try. Grunt, strain equalled not only a plop, plop, but also a trickle! When Chad was doing the pediatric section in school he learned that the nerves that give the sensation of needing to go, and allow for control of that need do not finish developing until a child is something like 18-24 months old, and often longer in boys. His professors also talked about how psychologically difficult it can be on a child to try to potty train them when they don't have the physiological ability yet. They said doing so often yields either the parents becoming "potty trained" for the child, or they become very frustrated. I largely agree with this. However, I figure that at this point, since I already have to help Aimee (to avoid the mess she leaves when left to wipe herself) I might as well save a diaper. Who knows, maybe I have a prodigy on my hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment