Sunday, August 18, 2013

life with may

I admit that when I found out I would be having another little girl I had mixed emotions.  Of course there was the side of me that was over the moon about it.  It was especially fun that Aimee was with me when I found out. Instead of crying out, "noooo!" like she did when we found out Pratt was a boy, she was bouncing off the walls excited.  Chad had been wanting another little girls so badly that I couldn't wait to tell him too.  But, there was a side of me that sort of considers myself a boy mom type.  I grew up as the only girl sandwiched in between four brothers until I was nine.  I loved building forts, digging, and even getting tricked into eating everything from raw eggs to dog food.  It was fun!  I get annoyed by all of the drama, and sometimes I feel like gagging at all of the bling-type stuff out there for girls.  Coming off of two little boys, I just thought it would be a tough transition.  Well, I was wrong.  It has been awesome!  Aside from the little perks, like not having had any front blow outs (also know as wiz-outs here), May has just added a balance and softness to our home, that I didn't even know we needed. 
 
A few tidbits about this little lady:

She is the polar opposite of her big sister when it comes to size!  Aimee was such a featherweight, but May, not so much.  She started out pretty average, but has been putting on all kinds of cute chub.  She had a well check at 5 weeks.  We learned that she has been gaining around 2 ounces a day.  That is just shy of a pound a week.  She was 10 pounds 15 ounces that day.  That put her in the 95th percentile for weight, but was only in the 50th for height!  Even Pratt wasn't that round!  I love it!

One of my good friends from Omaha used a clothes basket to lay her daughter in as a makeshift sort of bouncer.  So, because our bassinet didn't survive our last move, I took a page out of her book.  May sleeps in this basket every night in our closet.  Each child has stayed a progressively shorter time in the room with me because all of their little baby sounds keeps this light sleeper awake.  However, this basket in the closet method has been ideal!  She is still technically in the same room with me, even at 6 weeks old! As an added bonus, she has only had two nights where she got up more than once!  She is a great sleeper!  We usually put her down around 8:30, and rendezvous at about 3 A.M.  I am a fan, although her days of waking me up at all are numbered.

I hate how it is almost impossible to catch the sleepy smiles, but somehow I lucked out and caught one.
When Chad gets home, he takes all of the May cuddling time he can get, and doesn't like to share.  He figures since we have all day to do all of that he gets first dibs in the evenings.
My amazing neighbor gave Aimee and May matching dresses.  Aimee loves this!
I love tubby time pics!
My friend Nicole offered to take some newborn pictures with her awesome new camera.  She did them just a few days before May turned one month.  She had already filled out a ton, and by far has the chubbiest cheeks in her baby pictures of my babies.


It can be hard to give everyone the turn holding May that they want.  If she isn't sleeping she is eating, or someone else got to her first.  I think it is super sweet that they all love it so much!
Aimee loves to tell people that she has a baby sister.  As we pass people in the isles of Wal-mart, Aimee is sure to inform them of her fortune.  Aimee also loves to help change May's diapers, sing to her, and anything else that I deem as being a good big sister.
I get the "you've got your hands full" phrase a lot, and I guess that is true.  However, it the only thing that feels different is just that life is a little sweeter.  It just keeps getting better!

3 comments:

  1. May is absolutely beautiful! Congrats guys! Oh, and I guess the "you've got your hands full" phrase is universal- I get it a lot too. :) But life is good (even if it is a little crazy... ha!)Glad that things are going well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was certain I was having a girl and when I found out it was a little man I was a little bummed. Now I can't imagine having a girl. It's funny how what you're given is exactly what it should be. Funny about the baby noises. We moved Noah to his own room after about 2 weeks. We all sleep better now. Glad may is healthy and such a great sleeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost hate looking at your blog, because it brings so many floods of emotion back....that I MISS YOU LIKE CRAZY! Anyways, May is ADORABLE, oh my goodness her chubbiness is so cute! I'm so happy for you, your kids have all grown up a little...I seriously have tears in my eyes right now, love you!! I need to come and see you!

    ReplyDelete