Friday, November 5, 2010

oompa oompas

We had so much fun being the Flintstones last year that we really wanted to have family themed costumes again. In about June or July we saw Willy Wonka on Netflix. When it was over Chad had the idea that should be our Halloween costumes. I thought that it was a great idea, even though the more I thought about it the more I realized what a project it was going to be to create. I got started at the first of September. I decided to make Porters first since his would require the least amount of fabric if I completely butchered the design. It turned out really great! There were a few minor changes I wanted to make but thought it worked pretty well. My first real problem is that I got overly confident. Porters oompa pants had gone so smoothly that I waited way too long to start on the other two pair. In my rush to whip them out I made all kinds of stupid mistakes that cost me a lot of time. I was still coloring stripes on the socks and making Chad's top hat the night of our ward trunk-or-treat! I admit that it wasn't quite what I had pictured in my head. I never did find brown turtle necks, I didn't have crazy Gene Wilder hair coming out of Chad's hat, and I didn't get the balls for our shoes made, but it was still so cute. This picture doesn't do it all justice! This was night two and by then we had run out of green hair spray (I was green the night before) and the kiddos didn't have as much patience for all the orange face paint. They had also beat up their pants a little. It was so fun seeing them both run from door to door in these pants though. Aimee learned quick that the faster she made the rounds the more candy she was getting. Porter tried a different approach and just reached both hands in every bowl and got as much as he could fit in his little fists. I totally regret that I didn't take a video of the actual trick-or-treating action. It was adorable! Village Green is also one of the best places a kid could live at Halloween. It is safe, everyone is close, and nearly everyone sticks with the fun celebrating of the holiday instead of the dark part. Aimee would have trick-or-treated all night, even though she complained of her bag getting too heavy, if it hadn't been for a potty trip. It was such a fun night!

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog Tosha! Your Halloween costumes were so cute! Your family is darling! Can't wait to see baby #3!

    ReplyDelete