Wednesday, February 8, 2012

potty training porter




I had been dreading it for a long time. I was even a tiny bit glad that the possibility of knee surgery would delay the inevitable. As it turned out however, I wasn't that lucky. So I prepared for the worst. I stocked up on Christmas clearance candy and hoped for the best. Day one we basically spent in the bathroom with Porter wearing just a shirt and under roo's. We watched movies on my laptop, and ate chips and juice (salt to initiate thirst, and juice to cause the need to, well, pee). We had some successes and some failures, but overall it was a pretty good day. It had to be because Porter looked so darn cute in his little man underwear! Day two we branched out to the main floor. It was one of those days that I was so grateful to have wood floors. Actually it wasn't that bad. Again there were some wins and loses, but ultimately there was big progress. In fact, Porter did a little too well. He would tell me he needed to go to the bathroom, go about 5 drops and want his treat. The little trickster. Well, I thought he was a trickster, but I can admit when I am wrong (sometimes). He just was learning bladder control. Once we established that to have a "big pee" and get a big treat (a Hershey's kiss instead of just an M&M) you had to have a stream with pressure, there was joy in the Williams house hold! It took a few more days to get number two under control with much more limited opportunities. But in the end, it was a victory. I had heard that little boys were much harder. With the exception of getting him to sit and aim I disagree. It was a lot easier than I had expected, and I am glad to be done!

1 comment: