Sunday, April 19, 2015

projecting


We are not big projectors.  Well, actually, I am not a big projector.  Chad loves to work with his hands, learn a new skill, and see the fruits of his labor.  I love the fruits part, but the mess during and after deter me from such activities.  In fact, one of the reasons we bought the house we did was because it didn't need all kinds of work.  We did have a few surprises after we moved in.  First, the carpet had to go.  I couldn't, in good conscience, let my kids play on it.  the other big problem took much longer to spot.
The previous owners had paid to have the issue repaired before we moved in, but sadly, they got charged for a whole lot of nothing.  As we have learned this is a common problem in our neighborhood, the floor near the back door had a poor seal that resulted in the floor getting moisture in it and rotting.  Because linoleum was in the kitchen where the back door is, the whole floor covering had to be replaced to rip it up and fix the rot.  Knowing this would be a large project, I had successfully put this project off.

Mike and Saundra, they are projectors.  They love the challenge, and deal with the mess far better than I.  I do find it comical that they waited to jump into this project until after they moved out from living with us though.  Chad and Mike caught me in a moment of weakness of being frustrated about the sinking floor.  And before I could change my mind, the linoleum was ripped up and there was no going back.
Once the rot spot was fixed (and it ended up being a bigger job than we thought) they set to work to improve upon the worn and torn linoleum.  Chad and I had previously picked and purchased the tile and equipment for the job. By the second night, the entire floor was repaired and freshly tiled!  The down side of it all was that I had to wait for the everything to completely set and for the brothers to find time to do the grout.  It ended up that Chad and I did the grout work!  It was far from perfect but I still loved it!  And the inconvenience of not being able to go into or use my kitchen for two weeks was well rewarded! Thanks Chad and Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment