Sunday, January 5, 2014

the naughty list

Truly, I have no idea where to begin with this post.  My second son is such a piece of work, but not necessarily in a bad way.  He very much has the attitude that "where there is a will, there is a way."  This often serves to his (and my) benefit.  However, he also seems to have the mantra of, "I'll do what works best for me." Some kids get in trouble because they seem to have a naughty streak, and want to exasperate their parents.  Other kids often seem like it just isn't clicking, or they don't get that something is bad.  Neither of these are Pratt.  He definitely gets it, and he isn't trying to be naughty, it just works out that getting from point A to point B lands him on that particular list.  He knows that he is going to get in trouble for doing certain things, but it is like he just decides that it's worth it.  
Case in point:  Pratt knows how to potty in the toilet.  He gets that when he has the urge, he just has to let me know and he has my undivided attention.  If he thinks he will get a potty treat out of it, it might be worth the effort.  If not, he feels he has better things to do (or get into) than hastle with the whole thing.  It just so happened that one time when this happened, he decided to clean up his own mess, rather than get in trouble for getting his "roos" dirty.  In the process, I believe he found his own feces to be a rather entertaining play medium.  Note the poo pie below I found in one of Aimee's play dishes. (I had to close the door to the bathroom so I wouldn't get caught by him taking a picture of his "baking skills.)
A second illustration:  while we had family up from Alabama for Thanksgiving, Pratt enjoyed that they weren't as aware of his capabilities for trouble.  My 9 year old niece brought nail polish for her and Aimee to play with together.  When Pratt saw the activity, and that once they were done it was left within his view and reach he naturally pounced.  In his attempt to paint his own toes  He emptied the purple polish all over the up stairs playroom carpet.
He must also have had swimming with drawls, because on a late November day he showed his two year old cousin how to climb in the fish tank (25 gallons) to try to catch fish.  Enough water got on the floor that it started coming through the ceiling on the floor below.  His cousin got in trouble too, but I am 100% sure that Pratt initiated the activity.

Call me at the end of pretty much any, and I can tell you what Pratt got in trouble for doing.  Today it was blowing a fuse in the dining area and living room. We have yet to find a punishment that he dislikes enough to deter him from causing problems (I am open to any suggestions).  While I think I am pretty much immune, it doesn't help that Chad melts when Pratt gives him one of his adorable coy smiles.

Pratt recently learned how to get past the child safety knobs as well as the cabinet locks.  I am looking into alternatives.  In the mean time, I am praying that we avoid catastrophe and maintain our home value until a solution can be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment